Planet Comicon is dedicated to providing a safe and fun environment for all fans. Toward that goal we have adopted the following guidelines for respecting the feelings and personal space of others.
Harassment can take many forms and is determined by the victim, not the intentions of the perpetrator.
Some actions that may be perceived as harassment include:
- Verbal comments, related to race, gender, size, shape, sexual orientation, disability, religion, quality of costume, or nerd cred.
- Unwanted physical contact.
- Intrusive or explotative image capturing/photography. Guests are welcome to document the convention as long as no one feels they are being exploited. Best policy is to ask for permission before taking photos. Permission to take a picture is not permission to use the picture commercially.
- Persistent requests for photos, hugs, phone numbers or personal information of any kind.
- Persistent offers of unwanted assistance, gifts, or invitations of any kind.
- Stalking/following someone on the con floor.
- Displays of overly sexualized artwork. Vendors are expected to maintain a “PG-13” standard of displays in their booths. Guests must do the same.
- Overly-revealing cosplay. No costume is not a real costume. Violators will be asked to cover up and/or leave the con floor.
- Display of offensive signs, gestures, tee-shirts, symbols, etc.
- Failure to cease any behavior once asked to do so.
Enforcement of Standards
Complaints will be taken seriously by convention and security staff.
If it is determined – either by observation or by complaint – that an individual or group has harassed another attendee, that individual or group may be:
- Warned to cease and desist, or
- Asked to leave the convention, or
- Banned from the convention for a period of time to be determined by staff.
To report harassment please find the nearest Planet Comicon crew member or security personnel. They will direct you to an information desk or security center. If you feel your safety or the safety of others is in jeopardy please contact the Kansas City Police Department at 911 if an emergency.
For your own safety, if you feel that you are being harassed in a non-emergency situation please report your problems to us before anyone else.
If you cannot find a staff, crew, or crew member member to assist you, please go to the information desks located near registration or just inside the entrance of the exhibition floor. Please report to us before taking matters into your own hands (such as personally confronting the aggressor or posting on social media). We have professional security and they are properly equipped for these contingencies.